Since 2005, Game Anim has been the online scrapbook for thoughts and found articles relating to video game animation of Jonathan Cooper, a video game animator from Scotland that has been bringing virtual characters to life since 2000. He is currently in Santa Monica, California, at Sony’s Naughty Dog studio and has led teams on large projects such as the Assassin’s Creed and Mass Effect series with a focus on memorable stories and characters, and cutting-edge videogame animation.
In 2013 he directed the in-game team that won the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS/DICE) award for Outstanding Achievement in Animation on Assassin’s Creed III, and in 2008 started the BioWare Montreal studio, leading a team to deliver the majority of cinematic cutscenes for the 2011 British Academy of Film & Television Award (BAFTA) Best Game, Mass Effect 2.
Jonathan has presented at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco and at other conferences across Canada and the UK, and holds a Bachelor of Design degree in animation.
Full resume available on LinkedIn.
|Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End||Animator|
|Assassin’s Creed III||Animation Director|
|Mass Effect 2||Lead Animator (Montreal)|
|Deus Ex: Human Revolution||Lead Animator (Pre-Prod)|
|Mass Effect||Principal Lead Animator|
|Jade Empire||Cinematic Animator|
|Tom and Jerry: War of The Whiskers||Animator|
Speaker Presentations & Panels
- GDC, 2015, San Francisco, USA: Women Are Not Too Hard To Animate
- GDC, 2013, San Francisco, USA: Animating The 3rd Assassin
- Eurogamer Expo, 2012, London, UK: Assassin’s Creed III Developer Session
- MIGS, 2009, Montreal, Canada: Cinematics Sans Cutscenes
- IGDA Montreal, 2006, Montreal, Canada: Converging Disciplines Breathe Life Into Mass Effect’s Digital Actors
- Creative Bloq: 15 Pro Tips For Crafting The Perfect Showreel
- Kotaku: Behind The Scenes Of Uncharted 4’s Big E3 Demo
- Game Informer: Animator Shows How Uncharted 4’s Most Memorable Sequences Came Together
- Kotaku: How To Create A Game Character That Doesn’t Suck
- Polygon: Animating women should take ‘days,’ says Assassin’s Creed 3 animation director
- Game Informer: Assassin’s Creed III Animation Director Moves Over To Naughty Dog
- Kotaku: A Man Who Makes Video Games Move