iPress is a WordPress theme based on iTunes, (iTunes 9 to be exact), with archive pages designed to emulate the iTunes list-view in order to easily navigate large amounts of content. Archive lists can be sorted by name, date, tag or category. Post bugs, issues and suggestions in the comments below.
- 3 column layout
- Flexible width
- Sortable list-style archives
- Download and extract the contents of iPress.zip.
- Using an FTP client, upload the resulting iPress folder to your wp-content/themes folder.
- In the WordPress Dashboard, go to Appearance->Themes and activate the iPress theme.
- List-style widgets like categories and tags work best in the left column (Sidebar) to maintain the iTunes look. All other widgets such as calendars and RSS work best in the right column (Sidebar2).
- Instructions for changing the criteria for the archive layout, (for example if you wanted to be able to sort by post ratings with the relevant plugin), are embedded in the archive.php html comments.
- iPress was initially designed as a pure CMS rather than for regular blogging. If you wish to re-enable this functionality, you can simply overwrite the index.php with the archive.php page.
- Unique icons can be specified for individual categories and tags etc by adding specific CSS for categories/tags by ID. For details on this, see the relevant WordPress Template Tags pages.
- The query_posts hack to show all posts in a category/tag/date selection currently requires seperate pages for each query, limiting date archives to be yearly only. To change this, (to monthly for example) you must must also edit the first line of date.php – instructions included therein.
- Despite the obvious inspiration, no graphics were ripped from iTunes and are instead all of my own creation. I’ve included the PSDs in the images folder to give you a head start creating more icons etc.
Release Notes/Known Issues
- Version: 1.1: Bugfix
- Fixed issue with comments not submitting correctly.
- Version: 1.0: Initial Release
- Sidebar2 overlaps with media and images over 480 pixels in width when viewed on smaller screens.
- iPress uses 100% original graphic artwork, and is in no way endorsed by Apple Inc – Apple and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc, registered in the U.S. and other countries.
- iPress is released under the GNU General Public License.